Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
W.B. Yeats, The Second Coming
I’m finding myself overwhelmed lately; so much so, that I am finding myself paralyzed and emotionally drained. Last week we lost our cat, Joxer, to cancer. It was a long-building illness that didn’t get caught until the very end, when he was in such pain that we had to ease his suffering.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
- We have the GOP unleashing hatred on the country – and the rest of the world – as their candidates for president do everything they can do to one-up Trumpelstiltskin. His latest is he wants to shut-down all Muslims from entering the country for an indefinite time-period.
- Trumpelstiltskin’s supporters are revealing themselves to be the new Brownshirts.
- Mass-shootings are so common-place now that we count how many days its been since the last major one.
- Gun-control is not even the most important issue at the moment – see the first bullet-point.
- Radical Islam is responsible for two recent shootings in the western world (Paris, San Bernardino). This ties into Trump’s demagoguery perfectly, as he’s become a big recruiter for the jihadists of Daesh and other organizations as he vomits his hatred for everyone to hear. It’s so bad that I have to remind folks he doesn’t speak for all Americans, even if he’s the embodiment of the archetype of the Loud, Angry, Boorish American.
- The GOP continues to do everything they can to support their corporate sponsors and the hyper-rich at the cost of the rest of us.
- The American people are letting themselves be driven by the hatred being spewed by the Christian Right, as well as Trumpelstiltskin.
As I said, I’m overwhelmed. The ever-increasing bombardment of bad news in social media has me feeling on edge, so much so that I need to try and keep clear of it for a while. I don’t know how well I’ll succeed, given its ubiquity, but I need to try and do this for my own sanity, at least through the holidays. Knowing me, five minutes after I hit Publish on this post I’ll be sharing some other travesty on Facebook, but at least I want to try and not get sucked in.
In good news, we got the lights on our tree last night, and it’s going to look wonderful when we’re done. Spaghetti Night is Turkey Night is this Saturday, and we’ll be playing host to a lot of our friends, including one we’ve never actually met in person but have known for some thirteen years now, thanks to our blogs and Facebook.
And hey, look at this – another blog post. Two in two days! Whoddathunk? Maybe this will be the start of a trend.